Petite liste, très en vrac, de bouquins recommandables
- The Last Kings of Thule - Jean Malaurie, about ordinary heroes
- Many of Giono's books, eg Regain - J. Giono (in french onl)
- Many of Pierre Magnan books
- Dava Sobel's Longitude
- Order Out of Chaos by I. Prigogine
- L'imprévu by I. Ekeland (in french only)
- Des rythmes au chaos by P. Bergé, Y. Pomeau, M. Dubois-Gance, 1994.
- For pointing an interesting trail, Deep Simplicity: Bringing Order to Chaos and Complexity by John Gribbin.
- The Foundations of Ethology by K. Lorenz
- Studies in Animal and Human Behavior by- K. Lorenz
- The First Three Minutes: A Modern View Of The Origin Of The Universe by Steven Weinberg
- Mon oncle d'Amérique by A. Resnais (in French only)
1. La Nouvelle alliance - avec Isabelle Stengers, 1986, ISBN 2-0703-2324-2 2. Les lois du chaos (Le leggi del caos) - 1993, ISBN 2-0821-0220-3
I think 1. is : Prigogine, Ilya; Stengers, Isabelle (1984). Order out of Chaos: Man's new dialogue with nature. Flamingo. ISBN 0006541151. Unfortunately, I don't know if 2/ was translated in English.
Both books are clearly written (but not always easy). It appears I. Prigogine did a great work as a contemporaneous scientist. But in those books he also achieves a truly impressive history of science job. It's this sort of book you just regret to not have read earlier.